Good planning and division of responsibility are needed for successful teamwork. This “Tie Strings Together” exercise encourages the participants to understand the role of each individual’s responsibility, cooperation and good planning. This is an exercise on team building.
- To illustrate the division of work and planning.
- 20 minutes
- Pair of scissors.
- Cut small pieces of string of equal length (15 or 20 centimeter).
- The participants are divided in 3 or 4 groups of equal size.
- Give each group equal number of small pieces of string of equal length.
- Ask each groups to join the small pieces of string and make it into one longer string.
- Note which group was fastest.
- Now compare the resulting strings and note which one is the longest.
- If time permits the exercise can be repeated after planning.
Some guidelines for discussion
- Which group was fastest and why?
- Which group had the longest string and why?
- Did you make any plan?
- How did you cooperate in your group?
- What was your role?