For a team to be successful the members depend on each other and they will have to coordinate their activities. Each team member has a defined role or function but they also depend on each other for advice, assistance, etc. This interdependence of team members will be demonstrated by this “Pic Pac Boom” exercise.
- Demonstrate the need for interdependence for team success.
- 30 minutes
- Divide the participants in groups of 3.
- The 3 members of each group will sit close together.
- Assign a number to each group (1, 2, 3, etc.)
- Now give instructions that in each group, the person on the left has to say “PIC”, the person on the right will say “PAC” and the person in the middle will say “BOOM”. Each group member has to stand up, say the word, and sit down again so that the next person can continue. After the 3rd person has said “boom” and sits down again, the 3 group members have to stand up together and call the number of the group they choose to be next. All 3 persons should stand at the same time and call the same group number. A group that fails to coordinate will be eliminated from the game.
- Continue until only one group remains.
Some guidelines for discussion
- Why do you think group … was eliminated first?
- Why do you think group … won?
- What is interdependence?
- What is the value of interdependence to the success of a team?
- How can we improve the interdependence in a group?
- Did somebody assume leadership in the group?
- Did this help to coordinate the activity?