This “IPM Story” can be used as an icebreaker.
- Wake the participants up when they start loosing concentration and create a good atmosphere.
- 10-15 minutes
- The facilitator who leads this activity will tell an IPM related story.
- Divide the participants into 4 groups. Each group will be one of the characters in the story and each character corresponds to a certain sound or action.
- During the story, group members will have to make the sound/action of their respective character.
- Example of characters:
Group 1: Farmer – Whistle
Group 2: Field – Clap hands
Group 3: Insect pests – Stamp feet
Group 4: Natural defenders – Laugh aloud
- The facilitator will now read the story, while all participants perform their sounds and actions
- Example of story:
One day, a farmer (group 1 whistles) was walking to his field (group 2 claps hands). He wanted to kill the insect pests (group 3 stamps feet) in his field (group 2 claps hands). While the farmer (..) was walking, he remembered that he forgot his sprayer. The farmer (..) decided to walk back to his house. The farmer (..) did not know that in his field (..) there were many natural defenders (..) and only few insect pests (..). On his way to his field (..) the farmer (..) thought about looking at his field (..) first. He saw that there were many natural defenders (..). The farmer (..) also saw that there were only few insect pests (..). However, this farmer (..) did not know about IPM. He sprayed his field (..) and killed not only the insect pests (..) but also all natural defenders (..)