This exercise will help the participants to better remember the names of natural defenders (beneficial insects), pests and diseases. It is a quick exercise that can be used as an icebreaker or as a starter for a session on defenders, pests and diseases. Use it in an FFS after participants have become a bit familiar with names of pests and natural enemies, for example after the 3rd AESA.
- To learn and recall names of natural defenders, pests and diseases.
- 15 minutes
- Ask the participants to sit in a circle.
- Give them the following instructions:
– When the name of a natural defender is mentioned, everybody should sit straight with the arms folded and a smile on the face.
– When the name of a pest is mentioned, everybody should shout AHHH, and cover their face with their hands.
– When the name of a disease is mentioned, everybody should stand up, raise their arms and their faces showing an expression of shock (but in silence)
- Call out names quickly.
- Participants who are not able to do the actions at the count of three are eliminated.
- Ask one of the participants to take over and call out names.
Some guidelines for discussion
- Why do you show different expressions when hearing the names of pests, defenders and diseases?
- Mention the name of diseases that were used during the game?
- Name the insect pests that were used in the game?
- Name the defenders that were used in the game?