Use this “Car Boat Plane” game as an icebreaker, to wake people up between sessions.
- 10-15 minutes
- Chairs, or markers on the floor
- Ask all participants to sit in a circle. If no individual chairs are available, ask them to stand in a circle and use markers (for example: paper tape) on the floor to indicate each position.
- The facilitator (without a position in the circle) will be the leader at the start of the game.
- Explain that if the leader says:
“CAR”: all participants move one space to the right
“BOAT”: all participants move one space to the left
“PLANE”: all participants move to a space across from where they are
- The leader will now say “CAR” or “BOAT” or “PLANE”.
- After saying “plane”, when people start moving, the leader can quickly take over one of the positions. The person who fails to get a seat then becomes the leader.
The facilitator can easily modify this game by using different words and different motions. For example on a day when you discuss weather or climate (or climate change) you could use RAIN, DROUGHT and CYCLONE and use matching sounds or motions.